This article has been just updated: December 10, 2019
It’s no secret that watching anime in the West is not as easy as many fans would like it to be. The few anime shows that get licensed and air on television cater to popular tastes, leaving diehard anime enthusiast wishing for more content to watch.
Well, you may consider today to be your lucky day because what we have for you in this article are three methods how you can watch any anime you want online for free almost as soon as it gets released in Japan.
Method 1: Use Nyaa Torrents and a Streaming Torrent Client
- Advantages: Fresh anime releases straight from Japanese. Uncompressed Blu-ray releases with no dubbing or subtitles as well as releases with hard-coded subtitles. Clean, easy-to-use user interface.
- Disadvantages: You have to download and install a streaming torrent client for this method to work. Some torrents take a long time to download, and it might not be possible to stream them in real-time.
Nyaa Torrents is a BitTorrent website that focuses on East Asian media, specifically Japanese anime and video games. It is one of the largest public anime-related torrent sites on the internet, and all fans of anime should do themselves a favor and learn how to use Nyaa Torrents to stream anime.
To do that, you need a streaming torrent client like WebTorrent Desktop. This free, open source application allows you to instantly stream video and audio torrents even when they are not fully downloaded yet. You can use WebTorrent Desktop to cast videos to AirPlay, Chromecast, and DLNA to enjoy anime on your HDTV. Best of all, WebTorrent Desktop is 100 percent bloat-free, and it can open magnet links and .torrent files alike.
.To stream anime for free from Nyaa Torrents using WebTorrent Desktop:
- Go to: https://webtorrent.io/desktop/.
- Download the version for your operating system. WebTorrent Desktop is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Install the application and launch it.
- Go to: https://nyaa.si/.
- Search for any anime you want using the search bar in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Use the small Download link next to your anime to download its torrent file.
- Drag the downloaded torrent file into WebTorrent Desktop.
- Wait for your stream to start.
Keep in mind that it may not be possible to stream torrents with only a couple of seeds. In that case, your best bet is to use a regular torrent client and download the anime to your computer before you start watching it.
Method 2: Watch Anime Online on Free Streaming Sites
- Advantages: All anime shows are instantly available. No need to install any software on your computer. All you need is a web browser. Works even on mobile devices.
- Disadvantages: It sometimes takes a long time for fresh anime releases to be added to free streaming sites. You may encounter malicious ads and pop-ups, so it’s necessary to use a good ad-block.
Free streaming sites allows you to watch anime online without having to download it first. There are countless free streaming sites with anime on the internet, but many of them are of questionable quality. Here’s a list of top 3 best anime sites where you can find all popular anime series in high quality, both in the Japanese language and with English subtitles:
GoGoAnime describes itself as the world’s largest anime website, and we are inclined to believe that it’s true. The site has everything from Naruto to Monster Hunter to Sakura Internet to Satsuriku no Tenshi, and all shows are hosted on at least two third-party servers to ensure their flawless availability.
GoGoAnime users are very active when it comes to leaving comments and talking about their favorite shows, which gives the site a nice homely feeling.
KissAnime is an unassuming anime website with a modest design and an astonishingly large library of dubbed and subbed anime. You would be hard-pressed to think of an anime genre that’s not on KissAnime.
Action, adventure, demons, drama, ecchi, fantasy, magic, mecha, mystery, romance, seinen, shounen, space, thriller, or yuri anime are all represented on the site, and you can sort them by alphabet, popularity, or date. Of course, you can also search for specific anime directly using a search bar, and registered users can make requests for anime they would like to see added to the site.
On AnimeFreak.tv, you can watch dubbed and subbed anime for free right from your web browser. New episodes and anime shows are added on a daily basis, and there’s already so much content on AnimeFreak that it would take you years to watch everything.
At the moment, the site has over 10,000 anime episodes, which is an astonishingly high number if you think about it. AnimeFreak has its own Android app, called animemobile, that you can use to comfortably watch anime on any Android device.
.How to Watch Anime Online on Free Streaming Sites without Ads
The biggest problem with anime websites is the fact that they are plagued by ads, many of which have been found to be malicious. One wrong click could cause your computer or mobile device to get infected, which could end up costing you lots of time and potentially even money.
Fortunately, you can eliminate most ads on anime websites using an ad-blocker like uBlock Origin. This open-source, cross-platform browser extension for content-filtering is available for Safari, Chrome, Chromium, Edge, Firefox, and Opera, and we recommend you install it before you visit any anime website.
Unlike many other similar browser extensions for content-filtering, uBlock Origin doesn’t require much processing power when blocking ads, which means that it works flawlessly even on older computer.
To install it in Chrome:
- Go to: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions.
- Using the search bar in the top-left corner of the page, search for “ublock origin.”
- Click the blue “Add to Chrome” button and wait for uBlock Origin to install.
uBlock Origin is design to block virtually all ads even in its default configuration, but you can customize its behavior and content filters to fit your needs. Some anime websites may refuse to let you in when they detect that you’re using an ad-blocker, in which case you can temporarily disable uBlock by clicking on its icon.